There are different ways to obtain rubber parts utilizing your 3D printer. Some 3D printers, like Objet, can print rubber-like materials. However, the physical properties are poor. Another way is to 3D print a mold and then compress rubber (like Sugru) into the mold. Better yet is to simply print out your part with your typical 3D printer plastic to make polyurethane cast parts. Send this part or pattern to us and we will build a tool to cast your rubber parts.
If your 3D Printed Rubber parts require improved functionality, detail and stability, read more to see what ProtoShapes, Inc. can do for you!
Major advantages of polyurethane cast parts:
- Rubber variety. Many different formulations of polyurethane can be casted into the tooling to achieve desired physical properties. Such properties include: hardness, rebound, flexural strength, chemical resistance, dielectric and abrasion resistance, to name a few.
- Time. It only takes us a few days to render tooling for your pattern. Most of our polyurethane rubber is catalyzed to form parts in minutes. With the use of precision meter mixing equipment we can ensure consistency and quality parts.
- Quantity. We can produce a few parts to thousands on demand, if required. Depending on the requirements of the run, multiple tools can be built to increase the needed output.
- Quality. Upon receipt of your pattern, we will cleanup and add a fine texture to cosmetically give the part an OEM look.
- Cost. Polyurethane cast parts cost much less than other processes, unless you go to high volume steel tooling. The trade-off may be the tooling cost. But if you are looking at low volume production or just a few prototypes, there is no doubt polyurethane castings will prove more cost effective.